Sunday, August 2, 2009

strawberry


This morning, I had the biggest yen for strawberry syrup. I took some ciabatta bread from last night, soaked it in eggs and milk and made french toast.

2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmet
2 slices of ciabatta bread (you can use more, I wasted my egg bath)
butter

1 cup fresh strawberries
1 1/2 Tbsp of sugar
1 Tbsp corn syrup
1/4 cup of water



Clean and prep your strawberries. Then add the sugar, corn syrup, strawberries, and water to a sauce pan. Set on medium-high heat and leave for 10 minutes. At this point mash your strawberries and let syrup thicken.


During your waiting time, whisk your eggs and milk together in a large shallow bowl. I like to use a pie dish. Add your vanilla, cinammon, nutmeg, sugar, and salt. Put your slices of bread in your egg mix and let the bread soak.



In a pan, melt some butter on medium to high heat. Cook your bread on either side for 3-4 minutes until each side is golden brown.

At this point, you can strain your syrup. I liked to have the mashed up fruit in mine because it makes me feel like it's healthier. Whatever floats your boat.


2 comments:

Elaine said...

Oh my goodness that looks so amazingly delicious! I'll have to try this next time...
clothedmuch.blogspot.com

Rush-Vintage said...

wow looks delicious, not good for my currently diet ahah =) but love french toast !