Saturday, August 29, 2009

the killing -- a lobster story

The boy was working in Maine for the past 2 weeks. As an arrival present, he brought home live lobsters. He told me warned me about this on Wednesday. I think I was more excited about it when he first told me than when the little critters were sitting in a bag on my kitchen table. Eeeeeh! I have to kill those?

I've always considered lobster meat to be one of my all time favorites, but I've never had to see the poor things alive and moving. First, I didn't want to look at them until it was they're time to go into the pot. Then boy wanted to know if we should wash them. I didn't know. He took one of them out of the bag and threw it under some cold water. Holy crap, its tail started aggressively freaking out. Holy crap, no. I can't do it. We nixed the cleaning idea after we read that cleaning wasn't necessary. Thank God.

I freaked out through the entire process. Seriously, if the boy wasn't around to help me, I think I would have ended up crying in the corner of my bedroom. I didn't like that they didn't die instantly. It made me feel inhumane. I still feel kind of guilty about it the morning after. However, making lobster in your own home is an awesome little luxury. I think everyone should try it once. Hopefully you won't be as scarred as I was.



Ingredients

1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp unsalted butter (You can add the salt yourself)
1 1/2 pounds small potatoes (I used Yukon gold and quartered them)
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
3 (1 1/2 pound) lobsters
2 cups dry white wine (I used Yellowtail Chardonnay ... and I drank some right out of the bottle while I cooked. All class, I know. I needed it though to calm my nerves!!!)


Directions
In a heavy-bottomed stockpot, melt the butter in the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the onions for 10-15 minutes, until the onions start to brown.

At this point, layer the ingredients on top of the onions in the stockpot. First add the potatoes, salt, and pepper. Prepare yourself, because it's now time to add your lobsters. Brace yourself, you have to pour in the white wine and they will start freaking out when the steam hits. Ughhh guilt. Put your lid on the pot and cook over medium-high heat for about 15 minutes. Lower the heat to medium and cook another 10-15 minutes until the lobster is cooked. Remove the lobsters. You can serve them whole like I did and you and your guests can pull their lobsters apart yourselves. Remove the potatoes and ladle the delicious broth into bowls. I wish I had some really crusty sourdough bread for that broth. Mmmm, it was so complex and delicious.



Enjoy and try not to think about them when they were alive. I know I had to turn them so they didn't look at my while I was enjoying their claws.

No comments: