Monday, May 25, 2009

you scream i scream, we all scream for ice cream!



My good friend Ray bought my twin sister an ice cream machine probably 2 years ago? Well, I made a pretty awesome batch of raspberry bon bons this past summer, but it's been collecting dust since then. The last time I went back to New York, I brought it back to Boston with me. I planned to bring it with me when I went home to New York again this weekend for Memorial Day, but of course, I forgot it. That kind of sucked.


Well, fortunately my mom is just like me and was super gung-ho about the whole ice cream for Memorial Day idea. We immediately went to Williams-Sonoma and bought another one for the parents' home. Woot woot.


Strawberry Ice Cream


Ingredients


3 cups of fresh strawberries
1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
1 cup of whole milk
2 3/4 cup of heavy cream
The juice of 2 lemons
1 1/2 tsp. of vanilla extract


Combine strawberries, 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, and lemon juice in a bowl. Let sit for 2 hours.


Using a hand mixer, combine the sugar and milk for about 2 minutes until the sugar has dissolved. Then add the cream, vanilla, strawberries juices, and about half of the strawberries mashed up (or pureed depending on whether or now you want to really see the strawberry chunks). Set the other half of the strawberries aside to add to the cie cream later.


Follow the instructions of your ice cream machine. Mine was pretty simple. You pour your ice cream mixture into the prefrozen bowl. Then you let it rip for 20-25 minutes. 5 minutes before it was done, I threw the remaining sliced strawberries into the ice cream. Once your time is up, scrape down the bowl, pouring the mixture into an airtight container and let freeze for at least 3 hours.


The hardest part for me was being patient!!!! Believe me, it is SOO worth the wait.

No comments: