Monday, May 11, 2009

aren't you glad i didn't say banana?


Banana rama cupcakes


First thing's first, you need to have some tools:



Say hello to your new friends the apple and the brown paper bag!


The magical apple and the brown paper bag are legit going to be your best friends if you're like me and have no patience. I don't like waiting for my bananas to get mushy mushy ripe. And that's where these guys come to play. Just throw your bunch of bananas (it would be wise to buy yellow ones vs. green ones to begin with, don't be dumb) and just wait 24-48 hours vs. an entire week! Voila!!!!



Banana Cake
Recipe adapted from Paula Deen, the Queen of saturated fat


Ingredients
3 cups AP flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 bananas mashed (I used 6 because I wanted really moist, really intense banana cupcakes)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup of vegetable oil (yikes! I know that's a lot of oil. I will discuss this immense amount of fat later)
3 beaten eggs



Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Mash the living daylights out of your bananas (see the visual above). I let them just settle for a minute so they have time to get nice and juicy. You want juicy because the amount of dry ingredients seem pretty overwhelming compared to the wet.


In the mean time, combine the 3 beaten eggs, the vanilla extract, and the 23957892345324 lbs of vegetable oil. Ok ok, so this is something I feel like you can get around. For instance, you can pull the healthy brownie approach and substitute half of this oil for some apple sauce. I don't believe in being particularly healthy when it comes to desserts. I went for the oil 100%. Plus, I didn't want my cupcakes tasting anything close to apples.


Stir in the oil, egg, vanilla mixture just enough to get all of your dry ingredients wet. At this point, you'll want to pour your bananas and any extras you may want like chocolate chips or nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds, etc.). I used walnuts. Paula called for pecans, but it's up to you and your tastebuds. =)



Pour your batter into muffin cups, filling them about 3/4. I got 23 cupcakes out of this. Very frustrating not getting 24, but you can definitely stretch it. Bake cupcakes for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.


Frost with a standard cream cheese frosting (8 oz. package of cream cheese creamed together with 1 stick of butter; add 1 lb. confectioners sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla extract). I added 1 tsp of cinnamon so that it would taste more like the cupcake. You could probably add some banana extract to the frosting as well. I'm not a huge fan of banana extract though, so I decided the cinnamon was enough.



Serve and enjoy!


5 comments:

Heavenly Housewife said...

So glad I stumbled on your blog. What a gorgeous recipe. I am going to try and make those too. Unfortunately my piping skills are not as good as yours. I totally agree on your philosophy of fashion and fabulosity. Hope you will check out my website too, I'm also a new blogger.
htttp://www.donutstodelirium.com

lisa (dandysugar) said...

What lovely cupcakes! I love ripe bananas in baked goods..these look so good! Cheers!

Kristin said...

What decorating tip did you use to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes?

Al_Pal said...

Lovely! Thinking we may try these. :D

Al_Pal said...

Used the 6 bananas, and whole wheat flour instead of AP by necessity. Still delicious.
Thanks!